Friday, December 28, 2012

I Met A GYPSY TODAY- Dec. 27th on the road


The Road Less Traveled…. December 27th,2012 (but remember, I'm just passing through)
   
             I met a Gypsy some 40 years ago in Argentina- on the road,   wagon wheels and camping, another world…, definitely another world.

I met a gypsy today, in fact two or three… (They are supportive women-helping each other).   Been many a year… Always outside my round of daily activities… Provocative women, who would say no?...  Charming, dancing, or at least slightly moving, as they spoke. I was intrigued… Wouldn’t you be too?

Touching me ever so slightly as they talked rapidly as if I understood what they wanted and were offering.

 Want?”… “$ for my baby on the ground next to me .So she can have some bread“” She needs something.” I look down and what youngster doesn’t look hungry at 8 AM ?  O.K. give her some $ for the young child.
 (I’m sitting on my motorcycle) getting the tank filled with the Attendant filling my gas tank at my side. I give him a glance and he looks down. Not interested in making a comment and he has to put up with this form of request from the Gypsies all the time. Who knows, maybe he’s the Pimp?      A Pumping Pimp?

 In any case I am enticed outside the gas filling lane to an area still inside the gas station grounds  but…not in the way and she…never caught her name. (I’d given her $ for the poor child name.) Was it given?  Yes? No?  But since I was such a” sensitive person”… to the needs of others she’d tell my fortune for nothing…well…
I could be gracious if I approved of the Fortune…
Well, with all my clothes on… I mean with all my motorcycle gear on… and my motor running… I wasn’t sure I wanted to get into a prolonged interaction with this sexy young woman who kept contact with my wrist as she spoke….oh!   (Frankly, I’ve never met a Gypsy who didn’t know how to do fantastic things with wrist touch… haven’t you?...)

 It always involves more $$... Ya,    well she’d keep her finger on my  palm while she gave me a blessing and asked 10 questions, half of which I couldn’t understand. But I could feel her finger moving around ever so slightly…. I was disoriented.

 Then I remembered a movie I’d seen last week and the message had three elements two of which I currently remember( not bad I’d say…)
one was :1) Distract the enemy. . Get their attention elsewhere away from the money. Keep ‘em focused elsewhere.  Disorient them so they don’t know what is happening…
2) Since you, as the Sorceress, know that  they don’t want to look bad in public, you’ll provide them an opportunity to not display there ineptitude  in public. Just a few more $ and I leave you to go but…” you can’t leave right now while we’re in the middle of this fortune telling  process…This is serious. Processes are happening beyond my powers… This would be a serious travesty and with consequences I would not be responsible for…”

bang..frustration. ackward feelings.. of wanting to flee and not wanting to be here but there is such a velvet clutch around me…it is hot and getting hotter, my white silk scarf that should be flying in the breeze, is getting damp…


“ OK give me my $, I say, that you are holding in the palm of your hand.”(As you bless it)… Here’s something else for the kid.. I’ve got more important things to do, like continue my trip without feeling fleeced…too often….”

I was left with the words ringing in my ears that “ You foreigners are wound tight and don’t want to help…, you won’t even give me money for a cigarette”!.

 That quickly took me to beach activity in South America 40 years ago.. could have been anywhere in the world where someone from outside has something ($) and the locals, they don’t ,but both want to party…so how pays?... It winds up that those who have , give and those who don’t , benefit, as do all of us in that situation.


Next time you pull into your gas station, stay away from a young, swaggering , long skirted, slightly disheveled, sexy woman who wants to offer you your dreams for a few pesos…
 On second thought, who knows where a trip like that might have led?...  Campfires with Flamenco singers,… Dancers illuminated by the flames of the fire,….or just another round of screaming, unkempt and needy children?  I don’t have the answer because I didn’t go there…
 But isn’t  that always the choice… The road less traveled..?

No comments:

Post a Comment